- US President Donald Trump and first lady Melania have tested positive for the coronavirus, the president tweeted early Friday.
Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately.… https://t.co/CIIB2LDQtr
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 1601614446000
- The president’s physician said that the president and first lady “are both well at this time” and “plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence.” “Rest assured I expect the President to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering,” he added.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished President Trump quick recovery and good health. “Wishing my friend @POTUS @realDonaldTrump and @FLOTUS a quick recovery and good health,” Modi tweeted.
Wishing my friend @POTUS @realDonaldTrump and @FLOTUS a quick recovery and good health. https://t.co/f3AOOHLpaQ
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1601617589000
- The White House drops a Florida campaign trip from Trump’s schedule. Trump had been due to hold a campaign event at Sanford airport but his new schedule just lists a midday phone call on “Covid-19 support to vulnerable seniors”
- Oil prices extended losses to fall around 2% on Friday after US President Donald Trump tested positive for the coronavirus, while a US stimulus package eluded negotiators amid ongoing worries about demand.
- Earlier, Hope Hicks, one of President Donald Trump’s closest aides, tested positive for the coronavirus after spending time in close proximity to the president this week. She is the closest aide to Trump to test positive so far.
- Soon after Hicks tested positive, President Trump said he and first lady Melania Trump are awaiting their own test results.